Around 11 we went to the doctor's office next to the hospital to get checked, I was 4 cm and 80% effaced, because I was Group Beta Strep+ they wanted me to stay close to the hospital. So we went and had lunch altogether, and then Halen fell asleep on daddy. I kept walking around, I found a loop in the hospital and kept walking it. Finally close to 2 p.m. Aunt Sharon came to pick up Halen, we gave your big sister lots of love and kisses, knowing the next time we'd see her, she'd be a big sister.
Then it was time to focus. We put some of our bags behind the hospital check in desk and walked the hospital loop. We ended up walking 6 miles altogether. Daddy would time the contractions and for most of them I'd have to stop and hold on to daddy, breathe and focus. Finally, close to 4 p.m. my contractions were about 4 minutes apart for 45 seconds-1 minute long. So we called our midwife and they said to go ahead and get checked in to labor and delivery. We finally got wheeled up to our room, and a really nice nurse checked me, I was about 4-5 cm. Then she decided to see if my water had broken at all. So she did this test where it a swab gathers liquid to see if it's amniotic fluid. The test came back positive, so there was a small tear in your amniotic sack. So we were there to stay. Since I was GBS+ they needed to administer antibiotics at least four
hours before you were born, so they got those started around 5. I experienced intense contractions in the bed, and daddy ran down to get the rest of our bags out of the car before things got too hectic. I really had to focus. Then once the antibiotics were done, I got unhooked and decided to bounce on the birthing ball. Daddy took a picture of my belly in my robe with the wireless monitors for your heartbeat and my contractions. Then we removed those and tried to relax. We turned on Big Bang Theory to help ease the tension. I really liked the birth ball. Every time I'd have an intense contraction I would lock eyes with your daddy and he'd tell me to relax, to breathe and I could do this. Daddy carried me through your birth. I knew I could do this, I wanted to do this, but it is so incredibly hard when you're actually going through it. Having your daddy as a solid, confident, unwavering birth partner was a huge part of my success. Our midwife arrived right before 7 p.m. and we talked about what I was feeling, I told her it felt as if my contractions were really close together. And I am a numbers person, I am very goal-oriented, so I decided to get checked so I knew where my body was. As soon as our midwife checked my cervix, which was at 8 cm at this point, the rest of my water broke and just rushed out. It was wild. From there contractions really increased in intensity and became even closer together. I told your daddy I would have you that night and the midwife guessed I'd have you in about 30 minutes, which is exactly what I needed to hear to motivate me. I hung on to your daddy for some contractions and I started to feel pressure. The nurse brought in the birthing stool, and finally I sat down on that. Your daddy sat down in front of me and held my hands and locked eyes with me through each contraction. Every single contraction there was a second or two where I didn't think I could do it, but every time your daddy would tell me how strong I was and how great I was doing. Breathing and focusing and not letting negativity creep in is the only way I made it without medication.

At one point I felt the urge to push, so I started pushing, it started to really hurt. I felt the ring of fire, and the midwife, on her hands and knees on the ground, kept reassuring me that you were coming down the birth canal, and then the next push she could see a small crown of your head, and then the next push I pushed too hard and she told me to do half a push and your head came out and then the next push was the rest of your precious body. I reached down and grabbed you and pulled you out of me, onto my chest at 7:21 p.m. I was so elated that you were finally here and overwhelmed at what I just accomplished. As soon as you were out, I wanted to be in the bed.
So we moved there and I just rubbed your back and kissed you all over. You were covered in fabulous vernix caseoa, it was so thick and I left it be, wanting it to soak into your darling skin. You had dark, wavy
hair and I even checked to make sure you were a girl. Our Henley Charlevoix had finally arrived! Daddy and I were beside ourselves. At one point, I handed you to daddy so he could hold you skin to skin and I delivered the placenta and got stitched up. You were weighed at 8 lbs 9 ounces and measured 20 1/4 inches long. Your head was perfectly round, small and perfect. Daddy handed you back to me and we started to finally slow down.
I birthed you exactly how I envisioned, the nursing staff and midwives were fluent on our natural birth plan and completely supportive. It was an incredible, raw, real journey. I felt all the feels. I am so happy. We are both healthy and now we get to start a new version of life together. I love you more than every star in the Rocky Mountain sky and more than every grain of sand on the Sleeping Bear Dunes in Michigan.
Welcome Henley Charlevoix, we're honored to have you.
Love,
Mommy

No comments:
Post a Comment