From the night you were born, I was well aware that I was an attachment parent kind of mom. I already had a go with your big sister, and when I delivered you, they might as well have kept that bassinet for someone else because you never touched it. I wanted you, all of you for as long as possible.
When we came home I did try, on the first night to put you in your Moses basket in between me and daddy, but, you cried and I said, "well that's it." And that is how our co-sleeping journey began. It has been the most incredible seven months. Every night I would snuggle your baby body close to mine and breathe you in. I could hear your breath, and feel the rise and fall of your chest. You would nurse in a dreamlike state, warm and cozy by my side. You and I were in tune. Every morning I would wake up to that marvelous face of yours. And each night I was excited to cuddle my precious baby again.
And so this continued for seven magical, moving, delicious months. Daddy loved the closeness too, he knew you needed me and was very willing to share our king size bed with you. But as you reached six months, I could tell you were ready to transition to your crib. I gave myself one more night, the night going into your first Christmas morning. I enjoyed every sound you made, held your hand, kissed your lips and just soaked the night up.
The next night I was shocked at how easy you went down in your crib, proving to me you were ready. I hardly knew what to do with myself once I crawled into bed. The next night my heart sank as I tiptoed away from your crib and slipped into my empty side of the bed. I pushed back tears as I recognized this phase of your babyhood had come to an end. It took me awhile to fall asleep that night, I snuggled close to daddy to feel his warmth.
Thank you Henley for being my daughter, thank you for sharing one of the best experiences of my life with me. It will always be treasured.
Goodnight my beauty. Sleep snug in Jesus light.
Love you,
Mama
No comments:
Post a Comment